December 29, 2009

8-5.

Well, I fell behind, so for now I'll just list numbers 8 through 5 on my Top 25 Films of the Decade list--hopefully I'll be able to go back later on and give them justice with full entries. But alas, until then a simple number and a quick blurb will have to suffice...

8. Mulholland Drive (2001)- Not a huge Lynch fan, but this one is amazing in so many ways. Equal parts creepy, thrilling and confusing, if you have to watch one David Lynch creep-fest, this should be it.

7. The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)- The second best movie of 2007 and easily one of the most overlooked and underrated films of the decade. I want so badly to go deeper right now but for the sake of brevity I'll leave it at that for now. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL film.

6. Road to Perdition (2002)- Speaking of underrated movies this decade...I truly feel like this movie has not gotten the praise it deserves. It's what "coming of age" stories should fucking be. I hate "coming of age" movies and I'm not the biggest gangster movie buff, but the combination in this movie works perfectly (I do love Tom Hanks though). When I made this list I hadn't seen "Road to Perdition" in a while and was beginning to wonder if I have been idealizing it--but then I bought it and watched it last night. Verdict? My number 6 fav movie of the decade.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)- Ugh. The deeper I get into this list the more I want to write. But it's 11:30 and I'm fucking tired. Anyway, Eternal Sunshine is everything I love in one movie: Kaufman as a director has too much of a writer's mentality and Gondry as a writer lacks substance and structure...but together, in this movie, they are an unstoppable force with each working at their strengths--Kaufman as writer, Gondry as director. Subtle, smart, funny, heart-tugging, beautiful, complete.

Well, there you have it. Again, will update with full posts when I get the chance (you can tell it was getting hard to keep the above short). But that's for later. Tomorrow, I'll be posting the number 3 and 4 films (and I mean it, damnit), so look out!

1 comment:

  1. mulholland drive is the most confusing movie i've ever seen... and still i liked it...

    eternal sunshine is just a masterpiece

    ReplyDelete