September 29, 2009

Recent Thoughts/Other Random Things

Just a few things that have been running through my mind or that I've run across today....

-I don't like being fully distracted or attentive all of the time. Sometimes just being bored or doing a mundane, repetitive task helps the creative process more than anything.

-There are rare days when my mind blooms and creative thoughts just keep pouring out. It's unpredictable and sometimes overwhelming but always amazing and beautiful. I welcome these days with open arms. Today was one of those days for me...and I was doing data entry in an office for eight hours. (see previous bullet)

-I find that sometimes to be truly creative you need to make yourself vulnerable in the places you guard the most. This lets your mind open completely. It's fucking scary to be so vulnerable and have so much stimuli pouring in, but I think it's a necessary part of the creative process--and to grow as a person.

-I've realized I feel the need to write down all the big thoughts and random musings I have, as if I'm afraid I'll lose them forever or I won't believe them anymore if I don't. Not a bad thing, but it creates a shell around a person if it becomes too great--the thoughts only become valid if they're written down, and eventually a person becomes only a function of the thoughts they write down. This is my main argument against people being too organized and having too rigid a structure in their lives. Spontaneity is a good thing sometimes.

-I believe in peace as an ideal, but even more so in action.

-Here is a quotation from a short story by Jorge Luis Borges I read recently called "The Garden of Forking Paths." I had to stop reading and write it down when I ran across it:

"I thought that a man can be an enemy of other men, of the moments of other men, but not of a country: not of fireflies, words, gardens, streams of water, sunsets."

This really personifies a lot Borges' writings and why he's one of my favorite authors. There's no question I take A LOT of my inspiration from him. Check some of his shit out if you get a chance.

Well that's about it, so I'll leave you with this final thought (also coincidentally one of the themes of a short screenplay I'm writing):

Can a person love too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment