August 25, 2009

Ecstatic Reality Check

Well, this post was my lapse-of-thought, weak moment of the year. As I mentioned previously, I'm not one for delving into intimate detail of my personal life (though I wasn't very detailed in the post) or act sulky and defeated, so that was a rare glimpse into a darker side of my psyche when I can't focus my attentions and motivation. Certain people can always cut through my barriers and reach my insecurities, I guess...


I've been listening a lot to Mos Def lately. He's been one of my favorite MC's for a while now, but he hadn't really been relevant as a musician in a while. His latest album though, "The Ecstatic" (at left), is quickly becoming my favorite album of '09. It represents a return to form for Mos, as his last album was mired in record label disputes and displeasure--it really just sucked. I had been holding out the hope that the poor release was solely due to the problems I mentioned, and the release of "The Ecstatic" so completely and wonderfully confirmed this.

Musically, the beats and styles are all over the place, but in a great way that sees some of his best music since "Black On Both Sides." Some of the best (or my favorites at least) are "Supermagic," "Priority," "Life in Marvelous Times," and "History." "Priorty" in particular sticks out to me. It's very short at under a minute and a half, but I could seriously listen to the song on repeat and not get sick of it.

Really though, it's the album's themes and lyrics that truly make this album great for me. "Supermagic" begins with a sound bite of Martin Luther King, Jr., talking about the "miserable condition that exists" on our planet. I've been really interested in the life and work of MLK, Jr. lately, and "The Ecstatic" really encapsulates a lot of ideas about where our priorities, as humans--not black or white or rich or poor--should lie. Again, I come back to the song "Priority"--check it out. Lyrics follow...

Hey, top priority

Peace before everything
God before anything
Love before anything
Real before everything

Home before anyplace
Shoot before anything
Style and state radiate
Love power slay the hate

Truth killer, flakey face
Players say it to they face
Ain't afraid to major straight
Race at the table straight

Flow greatest like the greatest lakes
Capes all greatest states
Quiet water major waves

Steer the course make a way
And come ashore on a greater day
Home grown from the greatest grain
Full flavor in the native strain
Now put that on your brainy brain

Full exposure to favorite slang
Minimal wage and major gangs
Y'all seen them play the bait
Later night from day to day they came to play
We came to stay get out the way

Biotch sons buy heat rocks
Brooklyn finest, preservation to beat box
... detox
When we rock the people I respond priority

Peace before anything
God before everything
Love before anything
Real before everything

Home before anyplace
Shoot before anything
Style and state radiate
Love power slay the hate, priority
Love power

These lyrics resonate strongly with me. It's a quick, simple song with a sick beat, but it really hits its point..."Love power slay the hate, priority." Pretty much dead on.

On that note, I'm seeing Mos and Talib Kweli on the Ecstatic Tour on the 8th...so psyched.

No comments:

Post a Comment