October 23, 2009

Dirty money

***On another note, this is the CNN.com headline blurb right now: "We all know that Michael Jackson was one of the greatest entertainers who ever lived. But when it came to how he conducted his business and financial affairs, was he smart, lucky, or mad? As it turns out, he managed to be all at the same time. Although he had a shrewd sense of business, he had no appreciation of the value of money, CNNMoney.com reports."

How disgusting is that sentence? Appreciation of the value of money. Of the value of money. As if not appreciating money is a bad thing. I don't appreciate money. And I certainly don't think money has value other than a numeric one. Money is the cause of way too many problems in this world. I use it because I have to live within the confines of the culture we live in, but I don't ever put value on money. Or at least the kind of value this headline implies.

I think more people should learn to not appreciate money. People might be happy and in debt rather than just in debt. One of the best examples of this is of the gambler Archie Karas. Check the story out if you get a chance. He could be an example for everyone--not for his gambling habit but for his attitude towards money and life:

"You've got to understand something. Money means nothing to me. I don't value it. I've had all the material things I could ever want. Everything. The things I want money can't buy: health, freedom, love, happiness. I don't care about money, so I have no fear. I don't care if I lose it."

-Archie Karas

No comments:

Post a Comment